BMW Car Club UK
Driving licence changes

Driving licence changes


Along with the abolition of the tax disc, the DVLA will now no longer issue the paper counterpart to the photo card driving licence. You will not need to take any action, just keep your current photo card driving licence.

If you have an old style paper driving licence issued before the photo card was introduced in 1998, this change won’t affect you, and you should keep your licence.

The next time you need to update your name, address or renew your licence, you will be issued with a photo card only. Entitlements, penalty points and the status of your driving licence won’t change.

When DVLA stops issuing the counterpart of the driving licence, those drivers who already have a counterpart may destroy it. You’ll still be able to use the counterpart driving licence to change your address with DVLA. You can also change your address online.